🌙 You’ve probably heard that cats are nocturnal creatures. But that’s actually a myth. Cats are in fact crepuscular, meaning they are more awake at dawn and at dusk. You’ve probably been rudely awoken by your kitty precious minutes before your alarm ⏰ has rung, right?
But cats can be conditioned to follow your schedule so your precious sleep won’t get disturbed, especially in the middle of the night. Here’s how.
1. ✅ Don’t reward their behaviour: Ignoring them when they’re demanding attention at the wrong time will prevent reinforcing the behaviour.
2. Play at times you want, consistently: Condition your cat to think “evening” is slightly earlier by engaging them in high-energy activities earlier and keep at it! Cats are creatures of habit, after all.
3. 🥫 Schedule meal time around your time: For example, feeding them a little bit before your bedtime will stop your cat from waking you for a meal in the middle of the night.
4. 🧶 Daytime enrichment: Leave toys and things for your kitty to do even when you’re not available to play! That way, they can expand their own energy before sleepytime.
5. Don’t punish your cat: Nothing good will come out of punishing your cat except for a strained relationship.
So there you have it. Start a schedule and stick to it! Cats form habits fast and they’ll be following your daily schedule in no time.
If you’re worried about your kitty getting hungry in the middle of the night, we have Fresh Gourmet Kibbles that you can put out for your cat to snack on. Get them here:
Does your cat wake you up before your alarm?